Occasionally, many of us rummage through our wardrobe and feel uninspired or bored with our clothing options. This boredom can last for days and result in a default outfit that one settles on, defeated. We call this a "style rut" and Sian has tips on how to get out of it.
Do you stare into your huge closet, and say, “I have NOTHING to wear!” Are you in a style rut? We are creatures of habit, and it’s easy to get stuck in pulling that same pair of jeans and sneakers out of the closet and calling it a day. One common theme I hear that “justifies” dressing sloppy or not putting in the effort into dressing up is that stylish clothing is not comfortable. I am here to tell you that it absolutely is!
I challenge you to break out of your rut and try something different. Often you will find you don’t need to buy anything new – you just need to look at your closet differently! Here are some of the common issues I see and hear from people in style ruts, and my tips on how to break out of your comfort zone!
- You wear the same pieces together all the time. This is one of the most common style ruts! Your find an outfit that looks good together, and you keep repeating it. Your closet has ENDLESS possibilities. Pair your dressier pieces with more casual ones on the weekend. Pair dressy bottoms with a casual top or vice versa, e.g., a sequin skirt with a t-shirt. Throw a casual sweater over a formal dress. Mix prints! This will give your look more polish and style, and will give you endless options.
- Wearing jeans all the time. Why not try a denim skirt (which is more comfy in my opinion)? Denim skirts are definitely making a comeback – especially midi length skirts. I came across the denim skirt featured below at ASOS (of course) and loved the pretty paperbag waist detail on the top and raw hem bottom. I paired it with a simple white tee from LOFT and easy to wear flats and rocked it for brunch last weekend. This outfit is so easy and comfy, but looks sophisticated! Scroll below to shop some great denim skirt options.
- Wearing black all the time. My fellow curvy style ladies – I know this is an easy one to fall into. Yes, black is slimming; I get it. Even if you don’t want to break away from black, why not add a pop of color with a shoe, accessory or bag to make your outfit pop?
- Wearing sweats on the weekends. Ok, there’s nothing more comfy than sweats, I GET IT. But luckily the fashion gods recently made stylish joggers on trend. They basically feel like sweatpants, but look MUCH chicer. I have purchased multiple of these style pants, and even wear them to work! Here’s some cute options…
- Wearing Sneakers all the time. There’s nothing wrong with sneakers, but buy a stylish pair. There’s so many cute options now – so leave the running shoes for working out.
- Your makeup is ALWAYS neutral. I never used to wear lipstick, and if I did, it was just a neutral gloss. Step it up by bringing a pop of color with your lips or eyes. It makes a huge difference! My favorite MAC lipsticks (pretty much all I wear) can be found in this post.
Here is a super comfy outfit I wore last week to a casual brunch.
Sian is the woman behind the stylish fashion and beauty blog, Girl Inbetweenied. She blogs to be a "fashion and beauty inspiration for the average-sized woman" in response to the fashion industry's unrealistic beauty standards of female size. A resident of Washington DC, Sian is a proud Inbetweenie and advocate of universal beauty for all sizes. Follow Sian on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!