Ahhhh, I love spring, and love being able to rock my jean jacket even more! DC weather this weekend gave the perfect opportunity to whip it back out for its spring debut. Jean jackets pretty much go with anything — it’s a great neutral. This Express floral pencil skirt has a pretty bluish lavender color that pops with the jacket.
Here are some tips for finding a great fitting pencil skirt:
- High waisted pencil skirts are universally flattering to the waistline (target about 2 inches above your belly button.)
- Rule of thumb so that you don’t over accentuate hips — the skirt should fit the widest point of your hips and then go straight down to the hem. You can see the skirt below doesn’t nip in at my hips — it’s a straight line.
- There should be no lumps and bumps — if you can see any, the pencil skirt is too tight for you!
- Length depends on your height. If you are petite, I recommend hemming the skirt to the mid-knee or just above the knee. If you are average height or tall, I recommend it hit just under the knee. I also like the midi-length, but recommend that you add height to your heels if you go with this length.
- Tuck in your blouse — it gives definition to your waist. If you are pear-shaped or hourglass you can add a cardigan or blazer that hits mid hip to balance your shape.
Sian Fisher is the woman behind the stylish fashion and beauty blog, Girl, Inbetweenied. She blogs to be a "fashion and beauty inspiration for the average-sized woman" in response to the fashion industry's unrealistic beauty standards of female size. A resident of Washington DC, Sian is a proud Inbetweenie and advocate of universal beauty for all sizes. Follow Sian on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!